Data, Resources, and Tools
Following the principles of open access research, we share the tools and data we've used to construct our arguments with other scholars. All of the resources in this section are free and open source.
- Rough Rider Map Visualization: a Google map emphasizing the truly global enterprise that was Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World.
- Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World Attendance Map Visualization: a Google Earth map of attendance figures and routes.
- Language Analysis of Show Indians: a TokenX language analysis of frequently used words that allows for word clouds, word querying, and visualizations.
- Language Analysis of Rough Riders: a TokenX language analysis of frequently used words that allows for word clouds, word querying, and visualizations.
- Timeline of Rough Riders Press Coverage: an MIT Simile time-based map of events to gain a point of access to query and interact with coverage of public rhetoric that demonstrates the evolution of the Congress of Rough Riders and associated manly ideology.
- Rough Riders Promotional Posters: the visual elements of the posters develop an understanding of international manhood as comprising the elements of bravery, athleticism, skill, and fearlessness. The posters, in their visual representations and written captions, also highlight differences between the delegates of Rough Riders, particularly in comparison to the American cowboys.
- Show Indian Promotional Posters: the visual elements of the posters shaped ideas about Native Americans and drew from a common well of publicly-held perceptions about Indians.
- MySQL Database of Show Indian Performers (Coming Soon): a database of Show Indian performers compiled from primary source research.
- MySQL Database of Rough Rider Biographical and Occupational Information (Coming Soon): a database of Rough Rider information compiled from primary source research.
- Historical GIS: KML Files Plotting the Origins of Rough Rider Performers (Coming Soon)
- Historical GIS: KML File Plotting Attendance Figures of Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World, 1893-1903 (Coming Soon)
- XML file of the document corpus for the Rough Riders research project (Coming Soon)
- XML file of the document corpus for the Show Indians research project (Coming Soon)
Natural Language Processing
- Topic Models of Show Indian Material: Clustering of common and related words appearing in the Show Indian collection and divided into topics. (Coming Soon)